martes, 8 de noviembre de 2016

Week 1 Life Back in the 50s

Life in the 50´s 


Back in the 50s life was different. People used to live their lifes different, listen to different music,read different nnewspaper and work in a different way. This changes apply to almost everyone, form childs to adult passing through teenagers. Im going to talk about teens later on but now lets focus on the other things I told you.

Music: What people liked to listen to?
 

Music back in the 50s was clearly diufferent than  it  is now, take as an example the song "Summertime Blues" of Eddie Cochran:



I'm gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler


About a workin' all summer just to try to earn a dollar

Every time I call my baby, and ask to get a date

My boss says, "No dice son, you gotta work late"

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do

But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

Well my mom and pop told me, "Son you gotta make some money"


If you want to use the car to go ridin' next Sunday

Well I didn't go to work, told the boss I was sick

"Well you can't use the car 'cause you didn't work a lick"

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do

But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

I'm gonna take two weeks, gonna have a fine vacation


I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations

Well I called my congressman and he said "Whoa!"

"I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote"

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do

But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

This is just one of many Songs people used to listen to back in the 50s. ohter examples can be:" Oh, Carol" of Tuneweaver or "Great ball of fire" of The fabulous Jhonny Cash.

Teenagers: What was it like being a teenager in the 50s?


A wise man said once " People dont change themselves, they change their time and environment" and by a wise man I mean me about 5 seconds ago.But ,jokes apart, teenagers or children or even adults dont change, times do change. how people think and act is very influenced by the time they are born, in the type of society they are gonna live. A  person born in a extremely religious family wont think the same as he would have thinked if he was born in a atheist family. 

Keeping that in mind we can say that teenagers back in the 50s used to think,act and entertain themselves in a different way than we do now. For example take stuff like the TV, back in the 50s the first house TV went into the market, they were small, without color and very expensive. Just a few people could afford a TV. Nowdays everybody has a TV at home but nearly no teenager uses them, like they used to do 50,30 or even 5 years ago.Now we spend our time in the computers, tablets , smartphones or any other tipe of smart devices that allow us to surf the web and have any type of entertainment we want from movies to music or games that burn our time like ovens.

Being a teen in the 50s was sort of the same it is nowdays. In both times teens think that they are the greatest thing in the world, they both feel that hey parents dont understand them and just want to bother them all the time. Also now and then teens were the ones that took society to progress, they were the ones with the outside-of-the-box ideas that made them tremendously important scientists, bussinesmen and artists of their times. 

Resultado de imagen para tv 50s
TV in the 50s
Resultado de imagen para telefonos 50s
Phone in the 50s


Resultado de imagen para smart tv
TV Nowdays
Resultado de imagen para galaxy s7 edge
Phone Nowdays


Speacking of a different thing people also used to dress differently:


Resultado de imagen para ropa de los 50s
Women Outfit 50s

Resultado de imagen para outfit
Women Outfit Today
Resultado de imagen para outfit 50s hombres
Men Outfit 50s

Resultado de imagen para outfit hombres
Men Outfit Today

Teens also used to talk in a different way, like Holden Caufield does, saying stuff like "Old Mr Antolini was a wise man and all" or "Ernie is quite a phonie guy". This kind of language was used by most of the teens in those times.

Now I will show you an example of a newspaper in the 50s and one from today.

Resultado de imagen para new york times 50s
50s
Resultado de imagen para new york times 2016
Today
                          


2 comentarios: